South Haven Housing Commission
MAINTENANCE WORKER I JOB DESCRIPTION
Maintenance Worker I is responsible for maintaining all interior and exterior areas in a decent, safe, and sanitary condition and expected to promote a clean, healthy living environmentfor our residents. The Maintenance Supervisor and/or the Executive Director shall provide day to day supervision of the Maintenance Worker I. Whenever possible, the Maintenance Worker I shall report to the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Executive Directorin any of the areas listed below. In the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Executive Director, the Housing Commission or its designee shall supervise the Maintenance Worker I. Wherever “Supervisor and/or Director” is listed below, it is intended to mean the Maintenance Supervisor, Executive Director or his or her designee, or in the absence of the Executive Director or his or her designee, the Housing Commission or the Housing Commission’s designee.QualificationsMaintenance Worker I must have a broad knowledge and understanding of general maintenance procedures as they relate to housing complexes and the particular needs of the Housing Commission. Experience or proven knowledge in this or a related field is required.
PLEASE APPLY BY SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION TO:
THE SOUTH HAVEN HOUSING COMMISSION OFFICES 22O BROADWAY SOUTH HAVEN MI 49090
BY SUBMISSION DEADLINE OF MARCH 21, 2019.
- Prioritize his or her workload according to instructions provided by the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Bring unsafe or unsanitary conditions to the immediate attention of the Supervisor and Director.
- Respond to emergency situations during normal work hours or according to your assigned on-call after-hours schedule. Emergencies are as listed in the Maintenance Policy.
- Observe and follow the housekeeping schedule and routine work assignments assigned by the Supervisor. Schedules of work are to be posted in the Maintenance Office by the Supervisor.
- Observe all sections of the South Haven Housing Commission’s Maintenance Policy, which is hereby incorporated into this job description by reference.
- Report major activities and areas of concern to the Supervisor and/or Director.
- Inspect Commission buildings, grounds and equipment for required maintenance and schedule and perform repairs as necessary. Make necessary repairs on Housing Commission systems and equipment on a regular basis. Report major defects to the Supervisor and/or Director in a timely manner. Report emergency conditions to Executive Director at the earliest possible time.
- Assist in developing work schedules, assign work orders daily to insure the most efficient completion of work orders, monitor performance, and prepare reports as requested by the Supervisor and/or Director.
- Assist Supervisor and/or Executive Director in the preparation of grant applications and operating budgets.
- Contract work and supply ordering must not exceed the budget limits set forth by the Director.
- Prepare vacant units for move-in on a timely basis as specified in the Maintenance Policy or otherwise instructed by the Executive Director.
- Maintain Commission lawn and grounds by mowing, trimming, weeding, and applying non-regulated fertilizer when necessary. Supervise tenant landscaping activities and make recommendations for placement of flowers, plants, shrubs, etc.
- Clear away ice and snow on the public walks and parking lots on Housing Commission property adjacent to the building.
- Perform normal maintenance as listed on work orders for residents as listed in the Maintenance Policy. Maintenance personnel shall not work on tenant’s personal property during normal business hours without prior authorization from the Executive Director. DoorHang Tags must always be used and completely filled out when performing maintenance repairs while a resident is not at home.
- Properly and completely fill out Work Orders with the necessary information before turning closed Work Orders in to the office. i.e. completed by, time for the repair, costs of all items used to perform repair, verification that repair was completed and tested, etc.
- Conduct Annual and HQS Inspections per HUD requirements, Executive Director requirements, and/ or City requirements.
- Provide building security by periodically checking and replacing, or when required by law, arranging for the replacement of (by a qualified contractor) the following: 1.Smoke Detectors (clean and make adjustments or repairs)2.Fire Alarm System, Fire Extinguishers3.Emergency Alarms4.Exterior and Interior locks, doors, windows, etc.
- Provide general cleaning services to halls and common areas, limited access areas and storage areas, including restrooms, Community Rooms, Community Room kitchens, laundry room, library, game room, lobbies, etc. Cleaning services shall include all glass (interior and exterior) floors, walls, fixtures, etc.
- Assist with general cleaning and unit turnovers.
- Assist in performing all maintenance duties.
- Track and maintain appropriate levels of cleaning materials.
- Ensure cleanliness of all areas and floors in a safe, positive, and professional manner.
- Ensure safe, orderly storage and use of cleaning chemicals, supplies, and equipment.
- Operate vacuum cleaners, upholstery cleaners, floor care machines and all other equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Identify health and safety hazards and take necessary steps for their correction. Report health and safety hazards which cannot be corrected in a timely basis to the Executive Director.
- Respond to emergencies (as defined in the Maintenance Policy) during normal working hours and after hours as scheduled. Determine when an emergency exists and respond.
- When necessary, assist in the evacuation of the residents from apartments and/or the building in the event of a natural disaster.