Our Mission: The Mitten Children’s Museum is a nonprofit organization dedicated to learning through play.
Position Overview: The primary focus is to oversee the day-to-day activity of the museum, engage with visitors and members, and complete administrative tasks that keep the “front of house” running smoothly. A successful candidate is well organized, reliable, able to prioritize tasks and solve problems quickly, and has impeccable customer service and communication skills. Weekend and some evening work is required. This role directly reports to the Executive Director.
Compensation & Benefits: $15-$17 per hour, commensurate with experience; 5 days of paid time off per year, after six months of employment
Status: Part-time, non-exempt (approximately 24-30 hours per week); typical hours are Wednesday-Saturday, 9:30am-3:30pm, but fluctuate seasonally and/or due to special events and programs
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the general direction of the Executive Director, the Operations Supervisor facilitates all aspects of daily operations at The Mitten Children’s Museum.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Qualifications & Preferred Traits for this Role
- Oversee daily operations at the museum, including engaging visitors at the front desk as scheduled during museum operating hours; facilitating admissions, membership sales and gift shop sales; daily opening and closing duties; administrative tasks; and cleaning
- Keep inventories stocked and facilities in safe, working order
- Plan and rotate hands-on, STEAM-focused activities on a regular basis
- Work with volunteer coordinator to fill volunteer shifts and support orientation, training and communication
- Support the Executive Director with projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned
- Set and meet quarterly/yearly targets for memberships, admissions & gift shop revenue, with Executive Director
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.
Please send a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Supervisor” in the subject line. The Mitten Children’s Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels.
- Ability to interact in an upbeat, positive manner with people of all ages (especially children) and backgrounds in an inclusive, child-focused environment
- Experience working with young children and families
- Strong understanding of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) principles and practices, the value of play, and child development
- Ability to use that understanding to facilitate engaging, educational and age-appropriate activities
- Excellent interpersonal, written/oral communication and customer service skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize/complete multiple projects in a timely fashion
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Familiarity with point-of-sales systems and Google Workspace tools
- Willingness to find and implement solutions to issues as they arise
- Desire to identify and build up areas in need of improvement
- Highly motivated and able to take charge of a task through to completion or ask for help when needed
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods, climb stairs, bend, squat and lift up to 20 lb
- Must submit to and pass a mandatory background check