As a subsidiary of Kinexus Group, a $15 million Southwest Michigan-based non-profit, Market Van Buren has principal responsibilities for economic and community development throughout Cass and Van Buren Counties. We connect people, investments, and organizations with strategies and services that improve the quality of life and economic conditions in our region. Our staff focuses on developing strategies that will allow our communities to thrive by addressing needs related to workforce, community, and business development. We work collaboratively with regional organizations to maximize economic growth.
Market Van Buren is part of the Kinexus Group family of organizations. Kinexus Group, recently recognized as one of Nonprofit Times 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 Nonprofits to Work For, is a cutting-edge community development organization with growing initiatives to create an economically thriving Michigan. We are change agents who create solutions for business, workforce, and community challenges to promote economic vitality. While this position is part of and reports to Market Van Buren, this position is employed by Kinexus Group.
OUR DESIRED OUTCOMES:
The Economic Development Manager serves in the important role of helping solve problems and creating dynamic solutions that produce an environment for economic prosperity. A fundamental part of the role is regularly meeting with community and business leaders to understand their challenges and craft solutions to grow strong and resilient businesses and create vibrant places where talented people want to live, work and enjoy an exceptional lifestyle. These solutions may come from traditional economic development tools and resources or may be created to respond to the demands of businesses and communities. A successful candidate must love people, problem solving, and community.
WHAT WE EXEPECT FROM YOU:
- Meets with businesses and governmental officials, including state officials and agencies, county, city and village managers, council and board members, county commissioners, and economic development related organizations.
- Maintains an inventory of business resources and acts as a liaison with various local, regional, state and federal agencies.
- Manage a robust business retention, expansion and attraction program. Including proactive visits to businesses and municipalities to build and maintain strong relationships.
- Lead business growth projects, including preparing and submitting paperwork on behalf of the company and municipalities, and securing state and local incentives.
- Analyzes problems and needs of businesses and municipalities, researches potential solutions, and follows up appropriately to ensure all commitments are maintained.
- Prepares and/or facilitates grant proposals and applications, contracts, and other necessary documents as required. May administer or facilitate the administration of various grants.
- Generates and responds to business leads; assists new businesses locating to the area, which may include site location assistance, linking businesses with workforce and training initiatives, presenting potential financial assistance/incentives, etc.
- Prepares and presents reports, such as project and program proposals and general updates, both internally to the Board of Directors and externally to key stakeholder groups.
- Represents Market Van Buren at regional, county and municipal meetings, community events, and other assigned functions.
- Partners with the Michigan Works Business Services team on the implementation of workforce development initiatives.
- Review on an ongoing basis available economic development models, develop new models, and/or enhance existing services as needs emerge.
- Support the strategic planning process along with the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Support the team in the design, development, planning, and execution of annual events
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in in business, public administration, communications or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Customer service, sales, account management or related experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must have the ability to be professional and use discretion when handling highly confidential matters.
- Ability to handle a wide range of commitments simultaneously with a keen ability to prioritize and execute.
- Ability to build and manage relationships
- Willingness to travel in and outside of region, inclusive of overnight stays.
- Experience working in economic development, a public facing role or an account manager function.
- Education or training in an economic development program.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- A robust Onboarding experience to integrate you into our team.
- Team of Teams training in support of the organizational strategies.
- Job training and development to ensure you are established and growing in your role.
- Cross Operational Meetings with your peers.
- Management Commitment to your success (open door with CEO and COO, partnership with Senior Leadership, and peer-to-peer support)
- Flexible & Open
- Competitive Salary & Benefits
- Opportunities for Growth
- Periodic Telecommute Work
- Travel in and out of region – occasional overnight stay may be required.
We have unique culture that requires individuals to be BOLD, INSPIRATIONAL, ENTREPRENEURIAL and INCLUSIVE. We spend more waking hours with each other than we do with family or friends, so finding someone that adds to our culture is extremely important. It is our goal to inspire positive economic change one person, one business, and one community at a time.
Kinexus Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program. Auxiliary aids, reasonable accommodations and or services are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Michigan Relay Center: 711 Voice and TDD. Kinexus is a partner of American Job Centers.
Apply for this Job HERE