Responsibilities are to read and record the readings of utility meters: to inspect meters for proper functioning; to perform a variety of skilled and responsible construction and maintenance activities involving the safe and efficient operation of various kinds of automotive and power-driven equipment and to perform related work as required.
• Read utility meters and record readings
• Inspect meters and report defective meters or other malfunctions.
• May report illegal connections.
• Make arithmetic calculations.
• Operate vehicle to and from assigned readings.
• Answer customer complaints and requests.
• Operate power driven equipment as qualified.
• Perform street maintenance
• Assist in the installation and maintenance of water and sewer mains and associated equipment.
• Assist in concrete work for the construction and maintenance of public works systems.
• Perform required routine maintenance and inspection of vehicles and equipment, as directed.
• Comply with all safety standards and procedures.
• Perform related work as directed including the work of lower rated employees
High school diploma or equivalent; knowledge of the operation and maintenance of various types of heavy-duty equipment and vehicles; knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in water, sewer and street system maintenance and construction; minimum of one year of relevant experience.
Must possess a valid State of Michigan driver’s license. Must be able to obtain a State of Michigan Group A Commercial Driver License (CDL) within nine (9) months.
Walking for extended periods, climbing stairs, bending, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
Employees may be exposed to risks associated with entering onto private property.
Employees may be exposed definite health or accident hazards when on scene of emergency repairs.
May be exposed to inclement weather.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.